1.) Choose a place that is right for you based on what you are trying to get out of your experience. What factors are most imporant to you?
Our influencing factors: Affordability, Accessibility, Activities, Option for Couples and Families.
Where we chose: The Marriott Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Resort
- Affordable for couples and small families.
- Accesible, the airport for the USVI is on the same island.
- A nice variety of activities! There’s even an adventure center on site; perfect for planning a fun date like night kayaking.
- State-of-the-art amenties which include infinity pools, hot tub, kids splash zone, tennis courts, fitness center, etc.
- Restaurants and bars on site. Some have live entertainment!
- Wednesday evening Guest Ceremony with complimentary drinks and appetizers!
- Rum Punch in the lobby!
- ATM and Gift Shop on site with delicious pastries, sandwiches, coffee etc.
- Amazing views with options to upgrade!
- A gorgeous beach with beach chairs, umbrellas and towels available!
- You can watch the cruise ships!
- Gets pricey if you have to reserve more than one room.
- Most alcoholic drinks will cost you $12+ dollars.(The blended ones are pretty awesome though and even worth it once in a while.)
- Towels are not available at the pool all day, so bring your own to be safe.
- Finding a chair at the pools or beach can be tricky mid-day.
- If you don’t book directly through Marriott.com you will have to pay an additional resort/wifi fee which can add up quick!
- Get a percentage of your travel costs back after you return from your trip (in the form of a check that is mailed to you quarterly) by downloading ebates for free here: ebates
- Book your flight(s) and hotel together directly through Marriott.com to get the best deal.
- Get to the beach or pools early on to get towels and chairs.
- Save some money by bringing snacks from home.
- Be prepared to take a lot of steps.
2.) Pick which beaches are most important to see!
If you love to snorkel, you will love Coki Beach on the east-end of St. Thomas!
If you like to paddle board, windsurf, swim, or just relax while being surrounded by crystal clear blue water, take the ferry over to St. John and check out Cinnamon Bay!
If you like to explore and want to follow a trail through huge boulders and natural grottos, rent a charter boat and head to The Baths, Virgin Gorda! These geologic formations are gorgeous! Our family had an awesome time with Captain Steve Thornton from See & Ski Powerboat Rentals! seeski.com He also brought us to two special spots to snorkel. We were surrounded by beautiful fish! Check it out here: Feeding Time! (Video thanks to: Eric Vilendrer)